The louis XVI period sofa can be renovated to have a new look in keeping with your décor. The antique furniture of this period is of high quality and can easily be restored.
King Louis XVI was one of the greatest that France had ever known. From 1774 to 1791, the year he reigned, his particular taste for art and his ingenuity allowed him to establish a unique style in terms of decoration and furnishings.
His furniture, inspired by the neoclassicism style, stood out from those of its predecessor (Louis XV), by their forms and by the nature of the materials used. From the 18th century to the present day, his works of high standing continue to be a source of lust for some. Others, on the other hand, are looking to redesign their jewels in order to maintain them for a long time to come. No matter your edge, here's all the information you need to get Louis XVI in your home.
Where to buy a cheap old Louis XVI sofa?
In the time of Louis XVI, the ancient inspiration made it possible to restructure the chairs. The style will become more neat and lighter. Like the Greek temples, the feet will become a little fluted and straight. The connection dice, consisting of a small daisy or rosette cube, will allow the top of the feet to be tied to the belt of the chair.
Innovation will be mainly at the medal file level. It is now curved or straight oval shape. With regard to the chairs, Louis XVI created the folder in the shape of a gendarme's hat called the lyre folder, inspired by the small detachment that connects the two vertical studs. Oak and fir are the main materials used.
Today, these furniture are still available. To have old Louis XVI sofas to redesign, you can take a tour in small flea markets or antique shops.
The flea markets
Flea markets have always been the preferred market for art collectors. This is the place where you will find, at a low price, authentic objects used, discarded, or whose owner has discarded to make some money. So when you go to visit a flea market, you will most certainly see old furniture by Louis XVI, in condition or not, but authentic.
Antique shops also give you the option to pay for old armchairs. In addition, they are able to provide you with directions to redesign them. In case you want to make special changes to the seat or back (a little difficult to renovate), antique dealers can tell you the address of some tapestry.
At these, you will also have the chance to find rare chairs of Louis XVI such as:
- The blue Louis XVI armchair in solid wood;
- The Bergère Louis XVI chair;
- Louis XVI sofas;
- Louis XVI chairs with columns;
- The Louis XVI armchair, convertible with a crest, square, trapeze or hat;
- Louis XVI furniture, forerunners of Louis Philippe, etc.
How to restore an old Louis 16 sofa?
Before you want to redesign an old Louis XVI, you must necessarily know the characteristics of this type of furniture. Thus, the materials used are made up of solid wood under different species such as walnut, oak, almond, mahogany, beech, etc. The wrought iron present in its structure is used to imitate some of the antique furniture.
The decorative elements are made up of flowers, and symbols, at the time very sentimental, such as: cupid arrows, doves, ribbons, etc. Also, the basic style, light and less loaded than the Louis XV, is marked by straight and fluted armchair feet. Line your chair, is to bring it back to life, while relying on technical knowledge and mastery of gestures.
- Unseating the seat: You will lay bare the chair by gently removing: nails, fabrics, staples and hairs. After this step, you will judge for yourself whether the wood will need a refurbishment. In general, a layer of patina or wax will be more than enough.
- The installation of the straps: It ensures the longevity of the seat. Here you will tangle jute straps to get a stubborn checkerboard. Indeed, it is the latter who will bear all the other layers again.
- The staid: The stuttering allows the springing on the seat and the provocation of their tension, keeping them lowered through staid ropes. These must be arranged knowingly depending on the future use of the chair.
- Strong and hair-raised canvas: You will distribute and nail, evenly, the strong canvas on the wooden ties. Then with the springs, you will have to sew them.
- The stitching and the bottom point: Here, the jam canvas will be covered on the hair and then nailed to the was. Depending on the desired hair height, you will pass between the jam and the strong canvas a number of points of string. The bulge, an essential element in the hardness of the chair, will be obtained by stitching.
- The sting: To have a softer seat on the surface, add an extra layer of animal hair. Then, top with a white canvas so that the filling returns to its final shape. To redesign the folder, also follow the same steps, but do not use springs.
Line your Louis XVI sofa or armchair with the same fabric
Before finishing, you will choose and lay the cover. This is the most impressive step of the tapestry maker. To respect the rules of aesthetics, it is advisable to use a fabric with the same quality as the original one.
If you have several chairs of the same type at your disposal, be sure to put the patterns in the same place and in a regular and constant layout. On the back, they must be placed further up and on the seats, further down.
Finally, finish the job with the finish. Add different decorative objects (clous, cracks, crest, double braid ...) to make the chair prettier.